Monday 15 February 2010

Odrinary but Individual


Thinking of a media text that shows what I believe to be my culture, I have chosen BBC1's Drama 'The Street' written by Jimmy McGovern.

Coming from a fairly dysfunctional family myself, I feel like I can relate to the problems encountered by some of the characters on a weekly basis. If culture is referred to as the masses, then I suppose I'd be a product of the average working class, single-parented assortment.

The show, although it includes characters from an entire street, each week it focuses on one particular household. Problems have included a solider returning from war and struggling to settle back into family life, to parents sparking up affairs and cheating on their significant others, to bullying at school, and some characters just feeling trapped in their mundane everyday life. Now not to confuse this with myself, I'm not at all suggesting I feel anything like what is portrayed every week, but certainly some instances, I feel I can empathize with.

The main value I would use to identify my culture, is that no matter what my, albeit rather small family, is what is most important to me. I love living in a multi-cultural society, and always want to learn more about my community, my country - the world! My brain is a sponge as they say, wanting to absorb more knowledge!

Coming from a proud Liverpudlian family too, the fact that 'The Street' is set in the North-West, this has definitely added to why it reflects my cultural from a geographical perspective. Ethnicity and religion are all blended, sometimes with struggles and arguments, but the outcome is always the need to rely on others and the importance of strong family/friend bonds.

Which I think is quite a lovely, philosophical concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment